Florida Travel Guide
Florida is the southeasternmost U.S. state, with the Atlantic on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other. It has hundreds of miles of beaches. The city of Miami is known for its Latin-American cultural influences and notable arts scene, as well as its nightlife, especially in upscale South Beach. Orlando is famed for theme parks, including Walt Disney World.
From the days of the Spanish conquistadors, Florida has attracted people in search of heaven here on earth. And although Ponce de Leon may not have found his fountain of youth, Florida continues to hold an incomparable allure for all those who visit its welcoming shores. Blessed with a near-perfect climate ranging from temperate to tropical, Florida offers day after day of golden sun. The seemingly endless miles of silky-smooth beaches are the perfect take-off point for diving, boating, and water fun. And whether you choose the bracing waves of the shimmering Atlantic or the serene surf of the Gulf of Mexico, you may find that you'll never want to leave.
Florida's diversity makes it a perfect destination for everyone - families, honeymooners, and those looking for a stress-free getaway. Top-rated golf courses dot the landscape. Disney attractions beckon kids of all ages. World-class museums, cultural events, and exquisite dining await you. And centuries of rich and varied history have left fascinating historic districts, imposing fortresses, and remarkable architecture. From the enchanting allure of Amelia Island in the north to the tranquil tropical splendor of Key West, no holiday destination offers so much charm, so much sun and so much exhilaration in one place.
Florida, located in the southeastern United States, offers a unique and diverse range of travel experiences. Here are some of the prominent travel experiences that Florida is best known for:
- Beaches and Water Activities: Florida is famous for its stunning beaches and warm climate. With a coastline that stretches for hundreds of miles, the state offers a plethora of beach destinations, including Miami Beach, Clearwater Beach, Siesta Key, and Key West. Visitors can enjoy sunbathing, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, and various water sports like jet skiing and paddleboarding.
- Theme Parks and Family Fun: Florida is a premier destination for family-friendly entertainment. Orlando, in particular, is known as the theme park capital of the world, with attractions like Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando, and LEGOLAND Florida Resort. These parks offer thrilling rides, live shows, character encounters, and endless fun for visitors of all ages.
- Everglades National Park: The Everglades, a unique and diverse ecosystem, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a must-visit destination in Florida. Explore the park's vast wetlands by airboat or kayak, spot alligators and a variety of wildlife, and learn about the importance of preserving this precious natural treasure.
- Cultural and Artistic Offerings: Florida has a vibrant cultural scene with numerous museums, art galleries, and performing arts venues. Miami's Wynwood Walls, a neighborhood adorned with vibrant street art, showcases the city's creative spirit. The Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, and the Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) are just a few examples of the state's artistic offerings.
- Wildlife Encounters: In addition to the Everglades, Florida offers other opportunities for wildlife encounters. Take a boat tour in the Crystal River to swim with gentle manatees, or visit the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge for birdwatching and observing diverse wildlife in their natural habitats.
- Key West and the Florida Keys: The Florida Keys, a string of tropical islands connected by the Overseas Highway, offer a laid-back and scenic atmosphere. Key West, the southernmost city in the continental United States, is known for its colorful architecture, lively street life, and beautiful sunsets. Visitors can explore historic sites, enjoy water activities, and savor fresh seafood.
- Golf and Outdoor Recreation: Florida is a haven for golf enthusiasts, with numerous world-class golf courses throughout the state. Additionally, the Sunshine State offers ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, including hiking, biking, boating, and fishing in its parks, lakes, and rivers.
Important Things to Know:
Passport Requirement: No
Visa Requirement: No
Recommended Vaccinations: None
This Destination is Best For: See Above.
Is This a Family-Friendly Destination: Yes
Best Time To Travel to This Destination: February to May, although this is a year-round destination.
Explore Destinations Within the USA:
- United States
- Alaska National Parks
- Arizona National Parks
- Atlanta, Georgia
- California Wine Country
- California - Los Angeles
- California - San Francisco
- Colorado - Denver
- Colorado National Parks
- Florida - Florida Keys
- Florida - Miami
- Florida - Orlando
- Florida - The Palm Beaches
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Nevada National Parks
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- New York City, NY
- Seattle, Washington
- Utah National Parks
- Washington DC