Alaska is truly the last frontier. A land where caribou outnumber people, sunlight shines at midnight and mountains rise out of the sea. This last frontier still boasts pristine landscapes, majestic wildlife, and North America’s tallest mountain – Mount McKinley. Beyond Alaska’s, fortress-like glacier walls lie treasured national parks and abundant wildlife. Plus with more than 1,400 miles north to south and 2,400 miles east to west, it’s truly, a land of epic proportions. Enjoy wildlife viewing and scenic vistas while on various modes of transportation that include deluxe motorcoach, Alaska Railroad, small ship experiences, and even a river boat. See the best Alaska has to offer with these fully escorted land tours led by knowledgeable Alaskans.
Anchorage is a unique destination located in one of the world’s most spectacular settings – Alaska. Embraced by six mountain ranges and warmed by a maritime climate, Anchorage is alive year-round with adventure, recreation, seasonal festivities, sporting events, and more. Recognized as a four-time All-America City, Anchorage is a modern city surrounded by spectacular wilderness with adventures just steps from the hotel. During summer the days seem endless. Dazzling displays of flowers adorn homes and storefronts, live music fills the air, while king and silver salmon are caught right downtown in Ship Creek. During winter Anchorage is truly a wonderland. Thousands of lights decorate downtown and the excitement of many activities reverberates throughout the entire city. Anchorage is full of once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
Fairbanks emanates a quality of light, energy, and warmth found nowhere else on Earth. The northern lights will change you, while our summer midnight sun charms you. Greet the Arctic wilderness on the doorstep or be amazed by the magnificent neighbor, Denali. Be transported into the gold rush past or engaged in the art and culture of our vibrant and diverse city. Make your journey into the heart of the Last Frontier and experience the light, energy, and warmth found only in Fairbanks, Alaska.
Alaska is renowned for its vast wilderness, stunning landscapes, and unique wildlife, making it an exceptional destination for various travel experiences. Here are some of the best travel experiences Alaska has to offer:
- Wildlife Encounters: Alaska is known for its incredible wildlife diversity. Visitors can embark on wildlife-watching tours and cruises to observe majestic creatures such as bears, whales, moose, bald eagles, sea lions, and more in their natural habitats. Places like Denali National Park, Kenai Fjords National Park, and the Inside Passage are particularly popular for wildlife viewing.
- Glacial Exploration: Alaska is home to numerous glaciers, including the famous Hubbard Glacier and Mendenhall Glacier. Visitors can take glacier cruises, kayak or canoe near glaciers, or even take a flightseeing tour to witness these icy wonders up close. The stunning blue hues, towering ice walls, and calving glaciers provide unforgettable experiences.
- Outdoor Adventures: Alaska offers a wide range of outdoor activities for adventure enthusiasts. Hiking, backpacking, and camping in the wilderness allow visitors to explore the rugged beauty of the state. Other popular activities include kayaking, fishing, dog sledding, heli-skiing, and even ice climbing for those seeking a thrilling experience amidst the stunning Alaskan landscapes.
- Northern Lights: Alaska is one of the best places on Earth to witness the awe-inspiring Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). During the winter months, particularly in regions like Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle, visitors have a chance to see the dancing lights in the night sky. Guided tours and accommodation options designed for Northern Lights viewing provide an enchanting experience.
- Native Culture and History: Alaska has a rich Native American heritage, and visitors can explore the indigenous culture through museums, cultural centers, and traditional events. The Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage and the Totem Bight State Historical Park in Ketchikan offer insights into the traditions, art, and history of Alaska's native peoples.
- Scenic Drives and National Parks: Alaska's scenic beauty is best experienced through its scenic drives, such as the Seward Highway, Dalton Highway, and the Denali Highway. The state is home to stunning national parks like Denali National Park, Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, and Kenai Fjords National Park, where visitors can immerse themselves in untouched wilderness, witness breathtaking landscapes, and engage in outdoor activities.
- Cultural Festivals and Events: Alaska hosts various cultural festivals and events throughout the year, showcasing local music, art, food, and traditions. The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, the World Ice Art Championships, and the Alaska State Fair are just a few examples of the vibrant events that offer a glimpse into Alaskan culture.
Alaska's unique combination of wildlife, natural beauty, outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, and the opportunity to witness extraordinary phenomena like the Northern Lights make it an exceptional travel destination for nature lovers, adventure seekers, wildlife enthusiasts, and those seeking a memorable and immersive experience in the great outdoors.
Important Things to Know:
Passport Requirement: No
Visa Requirement: No
Recommended Vaccinations: None
This Destination is Best For: See Above.
Is This a Family-Friendly Destination: Yes
Best Time To Travel to This Destination: May to September
Explore Destinations Within the USA:
- United States
- Arizona National Parks
- Atlanta, Georgia
- California Wine Country
- California - Los Angeles
- California - San Francisco
- Colorado - Denver
- Colorado National Parks
- Florida - Florida Keys
- Florida - Miami
- Florida - Orlando
- Florida - The Palm Beaches
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Nevada National Parks
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- New York City, NY
- Seattle, Washington
- Utah National Parks
- Washington DC